My design process all up until getting the piece printed in wax! Super excited for this piece as it the most interactive of all of my designs. A spinning plate reveals a hidden compartment to keep the playing cards ring safe and out of harms way. As the plate spins a rhyme is revealed!
So it turns out CADing a peach is really quite difficult but I got there in the end. Here is the James and the giant Peach inspired piece.
So very many exciting things to share with you so I'm trying to get all of my pieces up on here ASAP! I hope your enjoying them so far!
Here is my James and the Giant Peach Piece! I'm going to try and explain the process with images below!
So this is the Final Piece! Please take a look on my Instagram to see the piece in action!
So the second piece I produced was inspired by the story of How to train a Dragon. I wanted the ring to be adjustable and for it to be quite playful and really have a huge amount of detail. I wanted to be able to capture all of the details of the scales and for the ring to look as though it was in motion, Flying around the tree branch. Below is my CAD story and the piece in its development stages.
So here it is the final render for the first piece of my new collection 'Chapters'.
Based on the story of Rapunzel.
Once I had completed the piece it was time to render!
I have now learnt a new technique called 'batch rendering'. This command is on the Matrix software and if you are interested in plating your piece or having different metals on them then this is the command for you!
You can set the different colour options for each section and let the piece render while you carry on with your other work. It calculates the results for all of the possible outcomes you can gain from the colour combinations you chose and saves them into a folder for you. You can also create a render video using this command.
Here are some of my outcomes from batch rendering:
Knowing that I had set myself quite a large amount of work I had been glued to my sketchbook for a few days and some ideas started to come to light.
I was intrigued to find a new way for the ring to fit into the base and for it to also be cleaned up easily and assembled quickly after getting it back from casting as CADing an intense amount of detail like I do takes an awfully long time. Well worth the outcome though! Patience is key!
How I originally had the ring made the piece much too big. As I wanted to produce the piece in precious metal it was important to keep the scale of the piece as small as possible. I deigned the piece so the ring can just slide on and off the base and is held in place with a tower top lid.
Throughout this process I found myself learning a new CAD software called Artcam. By combining this software with Rhino I have been able to create the most exquisitely detailed pieces and have also been adding the textures a lot quicker than if I would of formed them in Rhino.
I have put together a CAD story for you so you can see how the piece has evolved and grown in design from the start to the finish.
After looking through my previous work I knew I wanted to create something just a beautifully detailed as my last piece and that I wanted the pieces to feel magical and fun. I also wanted the ring to fit into the piece in different ways and set out to disguise the ring within the piece so it isn't as obvious to see when it is encased in the sculptural stand.
The main idea of my project was to produce four hero pieces which accompany my existing hero piece 'Jonah and the Whale'. From these pieces I would design and produce at least three more commercial designs.
As I wanted the pieces to be quite fun I researched into the different ways to add colour to my work so I could intensify the details and bring the story out of the piece. Therefore I had been thinking of using enamel and researched into a company called Capricorn which specialize in cold enamel. .
Above are my initial sketches and ideas for each hero piece!