So here it is the final render for the first piece of my new collection 'Chapters'.
Based on the story of Rapunzel.
Once I had completed the piece it was time to render!
I have now learnt a new technique called 'batch rendering'. This command is on the Matrix software and if you are interested in plating your piece or having different metals on them then this is the command for you!
You can set the different colour options for each section and let the piece render while you carry on with your other work. It calculates the results for all of the possible outcomes you can gain from the colour combinations you chose and saves them into a folder for you. You can also create a render video using this command.
Here are some of my outcomes from batch rendering:
Knowing that I had set myself quite a large amount of work I had been glued to my sketchbook for a few days and some ideas started to come to light.
I was intrigued to find a new way for the ring to fit into the base and for it to also be cleaned up easily and assembled quickly after getting it back from casting as CADing an intense amount of detail like I do takes an awfully long time. Well worth the outcome though! Patience is key!
How I originally had the ring made the piece much too big. As I wanted to produce the piece in precious metal it was important to keep the scale of the piece as small as possible. I deigned the piece so the ring can just slide on and off the base and is held in place with a tower top lid.
Throughout this process I found myself learning a new CAD software called Artcam. By combining this software with Rhino I have been able to create the most exquisitely detailed pieces and have also been adding the textures a lot quicker than if I would of formed them in Rhino.
I have put together a CAD story for you so you can see how the piece has evolved and grown in design from the start to the finish.
After looking through my previous work I knew I wanted to create something just a beautifully detailed as my last piece and that I wanted the pieces to feel magical and fun. I also wanted the ring to fit into the piece in different ways and set out to disguise the ring within the piece so it isn't as obvious to see when it is encased in the sculptural stand.
The main idea of my project was to produce four hero pieces which accompany my existing hero piece 'Jonah and the Whale'. From these pieces I would design and produce at least three more commercial designs.
As I wanted the pieces to be quite fun I researched into the different ways to add colour to my work so I could intensify the details and bring the story out of the piece. Therefore I had been thinking of using enamel and researched into a company called Capricorn which specialize in cold enamel. .
Above are my initial sketches and ideas for each hero piece!
You may of noticed that I haven't blogged in a very long time! I am really sorry for the lack of communication but I've been working on my new collection and I wanted to keep it quiet until I completed it!
I'll be posting about my design development and then sharing my final outcomes with you guys so stay tuned!
As you all know I am a narrative jeweller so I spent the first few weeks trying to figure out what my favorite stories were and which ones gave me the most inspiration for new designs! I want to reach a broad audience throughout my new collection and decided to pick stories that had different or contrasting themes, For example, a Gothic story and a romantic one.
I eventually narrowed it down to four stories and this is where the fun began!
The four stories I chose to use for inspiration were:
-How to train a Dragon
-Alice in wonderland
-James and the giant peach
Here are my mood boards: